Originally, the World Juniors had been scheduled to be played in Novosibirsk, Russia, but Russia’s attacks on Ukraine quickly led to their privileges being withdrawn.
Now, the provincial governments of Nova Scotia and New Brunswick are working together on a bid to host the World Junior Men’s Championship.
The biddings are confidential between governments, but it is known that the bid would be played in the city of Halifax’s Scotia Centre.
If the bidding by both were to be successful, it is planned for December 26, 2022 – January 5 2023 and will be released in the second week of April.
Regina, Saskatoon has put bids towards holding the tournament as well.
Premier Tim Houston of Nova Scotia said, “we’ve done it before and we are ready to do it again,” in a news release. “…In 2003, we showed there is no better host for this significant event when we hosted the World Junior Championship,” he said, referring to 2003 when Nova Scotia held the World Juniors last.
Houston said he believes that Nova Scotians remember the 2003 World Juniors experience, describing it as good for the province. He said that the bid fits exactly within the goal of doubling Nova Scotia’s population, and promoting the province.
Houston maintained that no municipal tax dollars had been involved yet, although it is seen as something that would help businesses that have struggled.
Peter Spurway, a previous chairman of the World Junior Hockey Championship felt that with proper planning, he believes that there is enough public backing and support to finalise a deal.
Meanwhile Quebec is also debating the idea of putting in a bid to host, where Quebec and Ontario would join together and vote as one.
Ultimately it is unknown which province will win the bidding until the final report is released.