After a chemical spill on Jan. 19 forced a building-wide closure, classes in Toole Hall resumed the morning of Jan 22.
According to David Stonehouse, spokesperson for the university, the spill occurred around 5 p.m. on Jan. 19, creating fumes, leading to an evacuation and subsequent closure. The building was opened on the night of Jan. 20 to be inspected and cleaned.
“There was a minor incident during a routine experiment in one of our science labs in Toole Hall on Friday around 5 p.m.” said Stonehouse in an email. “While minor, it did create some fumes and the building was evacuated and closed as a precaution.”
While classes and labs resumed on the morning of Jan. 22, the lab in which the chemical spill remains closed for the time being—though it is expected to reopen in the near future.
This isn’t the first incident to occur at Toole Hall. In 2015, there was a chemical spill that temporarily closed one of the labs and caused one person to be treated for minor injuries.
According to CBC, in 2013 a freezer malfunction affected the temperature of the chemicals it was holding. While that incident required a hazardous materials team, no injuries were reported.
The Jan. 19 chemical spill caused no injuries.
Photo Credits: Emma MacDonald