While watching a sport, any sport really, there will always be at least one word or term to make you chuckle. Usually that word is penetration, which, let’s be honest, is always funny. But sports seem to have a ton of words in the vocabulary to sit and make you laugh. Here are the top 20 dirtiest words and terms in sports, but remember, there are so many more!
1. Tight End (Football): a position on the offence. They are usually lined up on the offence line and are large enough to be effective blockers.
2. Touch the bag (baseball): touching the base (i.e. first, second or third base).
3. Sack (football): This one seems easy enough . . . but it’s when the quarterback gets tackled.
4. Five hole (hockey): The hole between the goalie’s legs . . . haha, it’s even funnier when it’s said out loud.
5. Get stuffed (basketball): When a player attempts to shoot the ball and it’s blocked by a defender.
6. Backdoor slide (baseball): A pitch starting outside the zone and curved back in over the plate for a strike.
7. Pull the goalie (hockey): When a team pulls the goalie from the game so they can put another player on the ice to try and score – usually they are behind in the score and it’s close to the end of the game.
8. Stuffing it in the hole (basketball): Putting the ball through the hoop . . . this is probably one of the best ones.
9. Muffed punt (football): Touching the ball prior to possessing the ball.
10. Baseball bases: Thought a classic should be mixed in there . . . first base, second base, third base, home run . . . anyone reading this has heard of this before.
11. Illegal touching (football): Pushing a guy out of bounds and not being able to touch the ball.
12. Ball Washer (golf): It’s exactly how it sounds.
13. Hooker (rugby): One of the team’s forwards, and is generally the smallest of the players.
14. Pole Position (racing): It’s the position of the motor vehicle and its driver at the front of the grid in the starting lineup.
15. Clean and Jerk (weightlifting): A move where you lift up the bar and lift it over your head.
16. Sticky Wicket (cricket): When the playing field is wet and soggy.
17. Line drive up the middle: The batter hits the ball into centre-field.
18. Fisted (baseball): When a baseball player hits the ball with the part of the bat closer to his fists, rather than the fattier part of the bat.
19. Rear naked choke (MMA): Two variations, but one is where the attacker’s arm encircles the opponent’s neck and then grabs his own biceps on the other arm.
20. Facial Dunk (basketball): When a player going through another and dunks the ball right over his face.